Friday, December 26, 2008

Lord, I was born a ramblin' man...

So I just got back from my second trip of the break. Two weeks ago I was in Pittsburgh for an interview, and today I got back from Ohio where I was visiting family for the holidays. It seems that I'm always on the go lately, even during the school year, with rugby away games and med school interviews. But each of those trips has been 5 days or less. Thus, this trip will be by far the longest trip I've taken in years, and probably my whole life. I've been looking forward to this opportunity for about 4 years. With my graduation looming on the horizon, I feel that this trip will give me some experiences, teach me some lessons, and help me understand some perspectives that I need before I embark on the next phase of my life.

As far as anxieties go, I've got a few. Planning has never been a big priority for me, and since a trip such as this pretty much demands a lot of preparation, I guess I would put money on me forgetting something or looking stupid because I didn't bring the right gear. Nevertheless, I have been preparing an awful lot, and think I'll be just fine during the trip. More than that, though, is just fear of the unknown, as my mom would put it. This is not only my first time in a non-English speaking country without my parents, but the farthest I've ever been away from home. I guess I just don't know what to expect, and only hope I'll make the right choice if I'm faced with a conflict or complication. Again, I've been preparing for those times, and trust that Dr. Wasser, the study abroad department and my parents have given sound, useful advice.

But now that the trip is only a day away, I'm excited more than anything. I can't wait to experience this part of the world. The only other time I've been to Europe was a trip I took to Ireland for a week during my junior year of high school with my rugby team. I loved that experience and am sure I will love this one. I remember the culture and tradition was so rich, and the citizens so proud of its beautiful land and great ancestry. I suppose that the United States is still comparably such a young nation, that this feeling isn't felt as strongly here at home. I feel that it is because of her great tradition and ancestry that the origins of many things can be seen and understood so much better in Europe. That is also what I hope to gain from this experience: a better understanding of history, namely, the history of medicine.

Thus, I look forward to Sunday morning with open eyes, ears, and an open mind. As my stepmother says, I'll try to be like a sponge the whole trip. By the time January 17th rolls around, I don't want to be the same. I just have to remember to take pictures, or a lot of people will be very upset...

PEACE

Asher

No comments: