Thursday, December 25, 2008

I'm Leaving on a Jetplane...

I can't believe that I will be leaving for Germany in just two days! Seems like just yesterday that I was discussing the trip with my parents and signing all of the initial necessary paperwork. Now I'm busy packing up my backpack and making sure I have my passport handy!

This time of year always makes me very aware of how blessed I am, and the wonderful family and friends I have. But this Christmas will live forever in my memories. I really couldn't be grateful enough for this opportunity to travel and learn so many things that will benefit my future education, career, and life in general. I hope my sister has a chance to study and travel abroad in the next few years also.

I am really looking forward to all of the sightseeing that we'll be doing, but also all of the lectures and things we will be learning while on the trip. Initially I was a little worried about my lack of German-speaking abilities, but I know Dr. Wasser and Stephanie will help us in the area as much as we need. It will also be very interesting to see how the Germans interact with us, as Americans. During my other trip to Europe, I never had a problem, and the natives were always very hospitable, so I don't see why the Germans would be any different. I am a little nervous, however, about finding my way through the airports in the connecting flights. You would think with all of the traveling I've done in my life, I would have a little more confidence in this area. But mom and dad won't be there to follow through the busy terminals to the correct gate this time! Mom assures me it will be a good "learning experience" for me, so I guess I'll just have to face the challenege!

I know that this trip will change me, in ways that I can't even imagine yet, and that is very exciting. Being neither pre-med or pre-vet (at the moment), I hope to maybe find something that interests me, or gives me more of a passion for the major I'm in, and the route that I'm currently traveling in school. I think that passion is one of the only things I'm lacking in school right now, and I believe that it plays the largest role in a person's life, especially when it comes to their education and career. Lacking passion can be detrimental to even the smartest of people. Hopefully going abroad and learning of another culture will give me a new perspective and appreciation for all that I'm doing, which I'm sure it will!

Germany here I come!

No comments: