Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hello Deutschland, see you in 3 days!

So where do I begin? So many thoughts are running through my head...first blog...first trip to Germany...should I be helping my mom cook Christmas Eve dinner? But I shall try to focus on this blog.  For any of you who saw my childish grin every Sunday as Dr. Wasser tried to prepare us for the experience to come, it should be of no surprise to hear exactly how excited I am. For the past week I've been telling  family and friends of this wonderful opportunity that I had the chance to be apart of, but I'm ready to stop talking and start traveling!

I've had my fair share of traveling outside of the country. One of my favorite experiences being summer school at Cambridge University. So my anxiety doesn't come from going beyond U.S. borders but being outside English speaking territory, especially when I step off my plane in Frankfurt and attempt to find the train station.  However, I'm pretty resourceful so that shouldn't be a problem. The reality of it all hasn't quite hit me.  As my mom is running around wondering if I have enough socks, I keep repeating "Mom, I'm going to be fine".  I think the fact that one backpack worth of clothing is technically enough is very reassuring to me, especially since I'm taking a small duffel!

Besides all of the amazing sites we're going to see and lectures we're going to hear, I'm very interested in how the Germans will receive us Americans.  I'm ready to soak in the German culture, and being the respectful Aggie I am, prove the "stupid American" stereotype that I have received in the past, wrong! It is so important to remember that we are guests and ambassadors at the same time so BRING IT ON!  

"I met a lot of people in Europe.  I even encountered myself." ~James Baldwin

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." ~Mark Twain

No comments: