Thursday, December 25, 2008

2 Days Away?!

I feel like this trip to Germany has snuck up on me. I know we’ve been going to meetings all semester but since I’ve gotten home for break it seems like the time has flown by and now I’m leaving in two days. I am so excited for this adventure to begin I can’t even put it into words. Germany has so much history to it, hopefully I will be able to take it all in.

I’m definitely excited to be in the German culture for three weeks (which seems like a long time to me, but it probably will go by so fast). I have lived in Brazil and traveled to Italy and El Salvador so I’m not really worried about any culture shocks or differences in food preferences. But I am worried about the language barrier. When I went to Italy with my mom we found out that the Italians were friendlier if we spoke Spanish rather than English, so we got by with no problem. But I am absolutely lost when it comes to German except for cramming in the numbers and basic phrases starting yesterday. Hopefully enough people speak English where I can get by without resorting to sign language too much. I am also worried about the ridiculously long plane ride I have into Amsterdam. I have arthritis in my lower back which makes any position uncomfortable for too long, so this plane ride could be the worst 10+ hours of my life but it will be worth it when I get into Germany.

Since I’m neither pre-med nor pre-vet (I’m pre-pharmacy) I may not have the direct connection to the lectures as the other students, but I still feel that I will learn a lot from the lectures since Germany is always so advance when it comes to medicine. I’m especially looking forwards to the lectures Dr. Wasser mentioned about “complimentary medicine” or homeopathic medicine. I’ve seen what side effects heavy medicines have caused in family members and I think homeopathic medicine is definitely worth exploring.

I am definitely the worst person in the world at packing. I either way over-pack or under-pack. Also I can’t find the wool socks I know I had. So as I’m faced with this daunting task, I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas and I’ll see you in Germany!

No comments: