Friday, December 26, 2008

I Can Hardly Wait

I can’t believe that I will be boarding a plane for Germany tomorrow!!! I enjoy traveling more than almost anything; however, I have never been to Europe before. I have spent a good amount of time in Central America, which I expect to have prepared me for certain elements of being in a foreign country, surrounded by an different language, and an unfamiliar cultural. Nevertheless, I imagine that the European culture I will soon have the pleasure of experiencing will be quite a contrast from my previous travels abroad.
I was extremely attracted to this program because of the opportunity to travel abroad, the direct application to my major of study, and because I knew it would be a great way to get involved with my new university! I just transferred to A&M this semester, after spending two years at the University of California. Although I loved every second of my time in LA, I missed my family, long-time friends, and good ole Texas hospitality (plus I felt a need to carry out a third generation legacy at Texas A&M). So anyways, when Dr. Wasser presented this trip the first week of class, I knew this was for me. Everyone in my family was so supportive, and I am more than grateful to have been given this chance of lifetime. I have had a very comfortable transition to A&M and really enjoyed my first semester, but I think that spending three weeks in Germany with one of my professors and many new friends will only make my experience at my new university all the better. I am really looking forward to the new friendships that will be established during this trip and the lasting memories that we will share together.
I have had an interest in medicine since before I can remember, so I find the idea the combining the history of medicine with an experience abroad to be most fitting. One of the things I am most looking forward to is visiting a few of the hospitals in Germany and possibly observing surgery. Last year, I had the opportunity to shadow a pediatric surgeon twice a week in the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, and the two of my trips to trips to Honduras consisted of me helping (to my limited ability) a team of pediatric orthopedic surgeons in the military hospital of Tegucigalpa. I find it very exciting that I will be able compare my previous medical experiences with the German medical facilities, personnel, and practices. I am also extremely eager for all of our sightseeing extravaganza, both the academic and not so academic activities.
I really do not have any anxieties about the next trip. I love adventure and find the unfamiliar exhilarating! I want to immerse myself in the German culture, especially the food, music and arts (all HUGE passions of mine). I am beyond excited about the timing of the trip…New Years in Berlin, need I say more! And, I think that freedom that we are given for weekend travels will make the program even better. Knowing that I will be experiencing the culture of not one, but FIVE countries is unbelievable!
I am not fully sure what to expect, but I like it that way. I have an open mind, and am eager for all that I will learn in the upcoming weeks. As for now, I am going to go attempt to finish SQUEEZING all of my clothes and shoes into the limited baggage space Dr. Wasser suggested.
Can’t wait to see all ya’ll in Germany tomorrow!!!
~Amanda

No comments: