Sunday, June 17, 2007

The toilet game

So, I think that this might be the first post of the vet med 2007 trip... unless I just haven't figured out how to view the others, yet. And, I've been back for about a week and a half now. So far, I've picked right up with taking free public toilets for granted, even planning to use public toilets in my all day excursions of errands. I only noticed that a few days ago. Even if I don't even notice the free johns, I do really appreciate them. Though there is something to be said for the european ones you have to pay for. Most of their toilets have lids so that if they did have automatic flushers when you stood up, you could close the lid and not worry about all that toilet juice splatter; the restrooms are usually pretty clean and stocked with handsoap; and the restrooms don't have toilet paper all over the floor (how do people get it all over the floor anyway?). One last point on european toilets before I give this subject up, flushing them is like a game. You've got to figure out whether it uses a button, lever, pull chain, some mechanism you've never seen before, or if it's got an automatic sensor - and you have to find this flushing mechanism. Can be fun, but not when you're in a hurry or you don't wish to ask someone how to flush the toilet.

I do really, really, really miss the awesome public transport. If there were an ICE train from houston to college station, I'd totally be on it! No worries about speeding tickets in that work zone on 6, car accidents on 610, traffic on 610 or 290, or falling asleep at the wheel during a boring drive - just a straight 1.5 hrs on the train and I'd be at my destination on time. And there could be a tram that would take me to within walking distance of where I live or the vet school or anywhere else in College Station or Bryan. I think I'd use it. Definitely better than a 40min bus ride to the vet school when I could drive it in 3min. The on-time trams that have signs telling when they're coming are my favorite!

No comments: