Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Europe or Bust...

OK, So I have 36 hours until I leave for Europe. Am I ready? No way. Ironically, I'm actually concerned about being under packed, but I'm a girl, so no matter what I do, I probably will show up grossly over packed. Kaylee and I are spending a week in Greece, so I have to pack for summer heat and beaches too. We have a really insane flight schedule (DFW, Newark, Berlin, Zurich, to Athens is the first leg of our trip) so I know I will be really excited to just finally get to Europe.

My host family (husband, wife and 15yr old daughter) seems really friendly, but I'm somewhat worried about being the only one from the program living with them. I'm not going to have anyone to ride to the school with, which is probably going to be lonely. They live above their shop, which is near the university, and have a roof top garden. Pretty excited about that, hopefully there's a neat view. They don't seem to speak great English from what I can tell. I've traveled to Asia before, so I'm not really worried about the language barrier. At least most of the German characters are the same as the English ones. And besides, what fun is it going to an foreign country and not having awkward conversations by trying to point and act out what you are trying to say? Half the fun is making a fool of yourself, but at least, most non-English speakers find it endearing.

Good luck everyone on making it safely to Germany! I'm excited to meet and get to know everyone! See you all in 10 days!

No comments: