Friday, June 22, 2007

Ah...Deutschland

I am in the fortunate position to know a little bit about what to expect for the program and culture, because I am actually currently studying in Germany with a different Texas A&M Study Abroad Program. Amazingly enough, I am still a little nervous about meeting my new host family. I don't have any doubts as to the niceness of my family but as always, a new city with a new environment can be daunting.

My expectations for this particular program are fairly simple. Have alot of fun while learning both about the exciting and wonderful German culture as well as something that has always interested me..medicine. I am hoping that the city of Duesseldorf is not too different from the city of Bonn, where I am currently studying. I have grown accustomed to certain aspects of the Rheinland culture and I am hoping that none of these customs are considered uncouth in Duesseldorf.

I have anxiety about a few things..mostly traveling. As efficient and reliable as the European Railroad is, things do happen. I will be arriving in Duesseldorf from Switzerland and a few of my trains have short layovers of about 20 minutes. I know that no matter what happens, I will eventually get to Duesseldorf unscathed and with everything intact. There is one thing to be said about the rail system....they really can't lose your luggage unless you leave it on the train. My luggage was lost somewhere in the world for 4 days at the beginning of this trip so the knowledge of the safety of my luggage is nice to have.

Overall, I'm just excited to get to see another part of Germany, drink in the culture and customs and be among good company. Time flies when you're having fun and that has never been more apparent to me than this summer. It seems like its been only a week since I left the States when in reality its been almost 5. The new program will be here before I know it, and I can't wait.

No comments: