Sunday, June 24, 2007

One day left!

I'm leaving for Germany tomorrow, and that plane trip is haunting me. Then there's the jet lag...and the impending culture shock. My mom and I sorted through pictures of our family in Germany last night. We lived there in the early 90's, and I remember very little. I do remember my snow suit, volks-marches, and that I thought German Shepard were those little terriers all the Germans seemed to have. My parents have very fond memories of Germany, but Germany has changed so much since then. My dad, a pilot, would fly along the border of the divided nation. They remember watching coverage of the Berlin falling and seeing droves of Trabis make their way into West Germany.

I received an email from my host family today. They have two sons, and their Opa and Oma live with them. I will be living with 3 generations of Germans (for better or for worse!). I hope they will help me with my non-existent German language skills!

I can't wait to make my own memories in Germany! I wish we could stay longer, and I haven't even been there yet!

No comments: