Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oh, the Excitement!

I am ready to get my mind completely blown away! I have never traveled internationally before, let alone traveled by myself, and I can’t wait for this experience of a lifetime. I am really excited about just immersing myself in a totally different culture in a totally different part of the world. I can’t wait to learn about the German social practices, traditions, and even some of their quirks. It’ll be amazing to learn about their past that has led them to their present, and the path that will lead them to their future. Every time, I talk about Germany with my family, they jokingly call it my extended vacation. In a way, it is because this experience will enable to do what I always love to do, learn about things that are completely new to me. I’m sure I will be walking away from this trip with a plethora of new knowledge, and I am so excited (yes, I know, I'm bit of a nerd).

Although I am far more excited than nervous about this trip, I do have a few things I am nervous about. I have never been in a situation before where the primary language is not English. I am afraid of needing help, and I’m in a crowd of people who only speak German! However, if I don’t freak out and learn to figure things out for myself, I can grow from it and become a more independent traveler. I’m flying out from the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and there has been a lot of rain and flooding recently for the past several weeks. I’m nervous of my flight getting delayed and missing out on something fun in Germany, but this is out of my control so I shouldn’t really worry about it.

I can’t wait to be thrown into this experience, in an environment that is totally new. I’m really excited about learning about other cultures and learning more about myself during these next few weeks. It will be really amazing to look back on this program and realize how much I have grown and matured because of it. I can’t wait!

No comments: