Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hannover/Vienna


January 13, 2013
Next stop…Hannover! We arrived at our hotel in Hannover and got our room assignments. This is my favorite hotel so far because it has an elevator! We went to the zoo in Hannover and saw polar bears; I now see why they are obsessed with them. They are beautiful creatures. We also got to meet the veterinarian for the zoo and she told us her side of the story. Being a veterinarian sounds very hard. The next day we got to see the research done at Axolotl Research Center involving limb growth. I must say I was impressed. Hannover was fun, but we only stayed there a short time before we flew to Vienna. I was so excited because there was snow in the forecast.
Once we arrived there was actually snow on the ground! I was finally getting to experience the cold in an enjoyable way! LOVED IT! We settled in at the hotel and explored for a little bit. The next morning we toured the catacombs of the St. Stephens cathedral. It was yet again beautiful architecture. It was also really neat to see the tombs and dead bodies of the royal family as well as the bones of the plagued. The next day we had a very nice presentation at the Pfizer drug company. Later, we toured Sigmund Freud’s house. The stories they told us were quite remarkable. That night we went to a traditional opera there in Vienna. I actually really enjoyed it even though it was not in English. It reminded me of musicals back in the States, which I love! It was so much fun to actually dress up and go out with everyone. The next morning we were given another presentation and tour of a medical school. It was a pleasant surprise when it started snowing outside. My day got one hundred times better once I got to enjoy the snow for a little while (it’s the little things in life). Afterwards, we visited the Narrenturm, Federal Pathologic anatomical Museum that had so many preserved specimen it was almost frightening, but nevertheless fascinating.  The last museum we visited that day was the Josephinum, Collection of Anatomical and Obstetric Wax Models. There were so many wax models that were so life like that it started to make me wish that was the way we studied the human body in the USA. The last day, we went to a Natural History Museum and were yet again pleasantly surprised with snow! That night we had a departure dinner that was more than delicious. We went out for our last shindig and ended the night early because of early plane departures in the morning. I am honestly so tired and I know I am going to miss Germany, but lets be honest, I am ready to be back at home sweet home in the States. This trip has been the trip of a lifetime, but the only thing I can think about right now is how I am going to have to be back in College Station again on Monday. Farwell Germany, its been real. 

No comments: