Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Back in the U.S.

Wow! It's crazy to think that (1) I was in Germany for 3 weeks, and (2) I've been back in America for 6 weeks. It seems like so long ago when I arrived in Germany, nervous and excited at the same time. The trip passed by so quickly, every minute we were doing something, on the move. Before I knew it, it was time to come back home. I never thought I would NOT want to come home. The last few days when we were in Vienna it really hit me that I'd be back home in the States, back at A&M, doing the usual routine. I was really sad to leave! I realized all the things I was going to miss. I thought I would miss them, and 6 weeks later I still do. I miss.....German breakfast, the bread!!!, the food in general, taking the train everywhere, spotless public restrooms, learning little phrases in German, coffee and pastry shops, and of course all of the cultural experiences! The list could go on and on but that's just what came first to mind. All of the museums (medical and non-medical), the opera, and the city tours were the greatest parts of the trip. Although at the end of the day I was always exhausted from the back-to-back excursions and walking all day, it was all SO worth it!

Of course I was looking forward to coming home so I could see my loved ones, sleep in my own bed again, not have to pay for public restrooms, cook my own food again, drive my car, and eat at my favorite restaurants again. However, I couldn't stop thinking and talking about Germany for about 2 weeks. Maybe more... I am sure I annoyed a few people haha Everything that reminded me of Germany made me miss it so much! On the first day of school I interpreted a sign with a teacher's name saying Dr. Winemiller as Vinemiller. Things like that...

All in all I can say that doing this study abroad program was the highlight of my college years. I am really glad I was able to squeeze this trip in before I graduate this May. I will never forget all of the great things I learned and experienced in Germany. Studying abroad was a great way to experience being overseas for the first time, and it only enhanced my will to travel and see the world! I would love to go back to Germany sometime, but there is so many other beautiful and exciting places to see first!

No comments: