Monday, January 09, 2012

Off to Prague!

Our last day in Berlin was Friday, I'm going to miss this city! We visited the Institut für Mikrobiologie, where we learned a bit about the history of biochemsitry, its role in drug research, and the mircoarray reaction microscopes, which can help determine a specific reaction with a computer scanning system. The MRI portion was the most interesting though, I haven't had my imaging class for biomedical engineering yet, so this was the best possible introduction! We saw a 7 Tesla MRI, which had a super powerful magnetic field (as in, my earrings were being pulled towards it). The student also informed us of attempts at taking MRI's of the heart, which is extremely tricky due to the inability to take a dynamic picture. You have to time the MRI to take a portion of the picture at the same point in the heart rhythm by listening for the valves to close. This is so ingenious! I never realized the field of imaging had so much potential for growth.
After a short introduction to Otto Bock, a prosthesis company (more on this soon), we ventured off to Prague! I met two students from Mexico on the train, who were pretty awesome to talk to (I now know quite a bit more about the MLS), and when we arrived at our Hostel, Sir Toby's, and looked for food at 11 pm (this doesn't exist) we crashed! More on Prague soon!

No comments: