Friday, January 06, 2012

End of Berlin...off to Prague

The train ride to Prague was quite interesting. I met a Lebanese German car dealership owner who was off to Prague for a weekend vacation. He knew very little English so we carried a three hour conversation by guessing meanings, gestures, and pictionary, and from all of this I gained some very important insight into the life of a German immigrant. Abos seems to be leading a tough life driving between cities during the week and conducting international sales, he's separated from his family that's scattered across the world, and he has very liberal views about religion, politics, and sex.
We also visited the molecular medicine center today. It was fascinating to see how universal science is. Regardless of languages or difficult accents, a picture of a benzene ring means the same thing of this side of the Atlantic as it does back home. The MRI tour was also very useful for me especially since I worked at a research imaging center over the summer and had a little background on MRIs. Standing next to the 7 tesla MRI I was able to feel the wires in my braces bend, which was a very strange sensation, but was a good demonstration of how strong the magnetic field was even at the one-ish foot distance from the bore where I was standing.
I can't believe that our time in Berlin is over, but I really feel that I so much more out of the city than a tourist experience. Now for Prague!

No comments: