Thursday, January 19, 2012

Final Days of the Program in Vienna

Our first day in Vienna was spent sightseeing and learning some about the history of Vienna. Wow is Vienna a beautiful place. We had sunny days most of our time there and it made for a wonderful time walking around in the city center. Thursday morning we went on a medical history walk. I was so amazed to be walking in the footsteps and breathing the same air as some of the most influential people in medical history. After lunch we toured the cathedral catacombs at St. Stephens which I loved. I really enjoy visiting cathedrals, but I always find all of the catacombs and traditional burial sight to be really intriguing. We then ventured to the Museum of Vienna where we had the opportunity to journey through Vienna and Austria's history while also looking at beautiful artifacts, artwork, and antiques. In the evening, we got all dressed up and headed to the opera house for a performance of Mozart's "The Magic Flute". I had never been to an opera, and I had a really good time. The story and singing was wonderful! I think I may have to attend operas more often.

We began Friday with a presentation of the medical education system in Europe. The system does differ from ours in the US in that student immediately enter a longer medical program after secondary school whereas we receive a four-year bachelors degree before entering a professional program. I don't really know which system is better. The main difference I notice is that our system in the US provides students with more flexibility in their educational and career goals, because they are not immediately limited after they begin their first year at the university level which I believe is a perk. Well, and they get their education for basically free, but I think we have the opportunity to experience a little more post-graduate flexibility. All in all, I think it evens out. Later in the morning, we headed to the Josephinum to view their extensive collection of anatomical wax models. What is perhaps most amazing about these models is their longevity. They still appear in beautiful form after many years. I am in awe when I think about the craftsmanship that went into the creation of these models, especially the full body models that can be taken apart and put back together. These models are so realistic and knowing that the originals took about two years with several people working on them, I can only imagine how excited instructors and students where to have them. In the afternoon, we visited the Federal Pathologic Anatomical Museum which was full of interesting specimens and "oddities" as they might have been referred to originally. The museum is housed in what once was an insane asylum, which adds to the effect of some of the strangest specimens, but being the science-y people we are, I think everyone found it to be really interesting. I know I did.

On Saturday, we were fortunate to spend our morning at the Heart Station at Hospital Modling. This was an amazing experience! We were able to see catheter procedures from start to finish. Imagine our surprise when we saw that the patient was awake during the procedure! The doctors were so nice to allow us to follow them around all morning while they explained various procedures and pathologies, as well as looking at various EKGs and ultrasounds. I was also thankful to the patient who was willing to speak with us about her life and living with heart problems. We spent our afternoon listening to speakers from the Austrian Red Cross and Homeopathic Medicine, both subjects on which I did not know a lot about. I was impressed by the mission of the Red Cross to serve all people in need and its ability to remain neutral even under the strongest outside pressures. The Red Cross truly is an amazing organization and I would love to look into opportunities for volunteer work with them. I was also impressed by the other speaker's emphasis on the importance of utilizing homeopathic medicine along with western medicine. I guess I too had fallen victim to the scams that people call "homeopathic medicine". Now that I understand exactly what homeopathic medicine is I am much more receptive to the idea and I would actually like to learn more about it.

On the final day of the program we visited the Sigmund Freud house. It was so amazing to think that we listened to a lecture in a room where Freud and other very influential people might have sat smoking, thinking, and coming up with the ideas that we now perceive as common knowledge. I loved walking through the museum as it was situated in the various rooms of his home and workplace, and having the opportunity to see the same furniture in the same place as well as watching family videos that his daughter had saved. I was a little disappointed that the famous couch is in England, but I guess that's a good reason for a trip to the UK right? All in all, on the entire trip I have been overwhelmed by all of the history the we walked through every day, but I was especially overcome by the historical presence this day.

So it's time to head home now, and I will miss Europe and all of the wonderful experiences it has brought me on this trip, but, most of all, I am looking forward to a seeing new year and a new semester with all of my new knowledge and perspectives. I can't wait.

No comments: