Thursday, February 21, 2008

Carrying Memories

It is hard to believe sometimes that I had been to Europe and Germany. The day to day routines of College Station sunk in quick as the semester was underway only a couple days of returning to the states. I found the experiences memorable and when looking back, every single Euro or dollar invested was worth it.

I miss the country sorely as it was refreshing to break free from the norm and many aspects of my life that I never thought about, I view with a fresh perspective. Perhaps my favorite time in Germany was New Years Eve and the chance to experience such a celebration. On the other hand of the spectrum, the most moving time in Germany was Dachau. Europe is old, steeped in known history and civilization. Everywhere you go there is relics and monuments, standing in silent testimony of a story. Texas, while it has history, it is short and brief, as the days before European settlement are forever lost to us. It was also an eye opener to see another cultures strengths and weaknesses. Reading a newspaper or watching the news, other countries seem to never have the problems our society does. Germany would seem to be untouched by poverty, illegal immigration, healthcare issues, etc. We found out that this is not true, in fact they face many of the same issues our country faces along with some that are unique to them.

It is hard to describe the experience of throwing yourself out into the unknown and just taking it all in. Everytime I am asked how my trip is, I am at a loss of words. Every response I have given rings a bit hallow to my ears as I feel it does not tell the whole story.

I still look at the pictures and occasionally find myself rolling a souveneir in my hands lost in thought. It is my dream and plan to one day go back to Germany and Europe. There are still many places to go and see. The brief time spent in Germany is nowhere near enough to grasp everything that they have to offer. Until then, I will carry my memories with me.

No comments: