Saturday, August 09, 2014

Last Week in Berlin and Post Germany



The program has finally ended, and we all are at our respective homes. Some people from the group chose to travel further, although I think this was a great time to come back to my family and to Texas. The program was beyond remarkable and we made some long-lasting memories. When I first came on this trip, I had doubts of whether this program was for me. I probably had a few expectations, if not any. I reminisce of the day we first landed at Frankfurt airport and my first exposure to an airport with no air conditioning. Did it really ended so fast, or was I in the moment and living every minute of my time while it lasted?
We waved at our host family and left to catch our very last train in Bonn to the HBF. We travelled to Berlin and had a bus tour to explore the city. We noticed that Berlin might not be the lavish city with tall, glass buildings, but it is definitely rich with history, architecturally important buildings and hustling and bustling streets. Each and every corner of that city has history attached to it. Later during that day, my roommates and I shopped at the local grocery store and utilized the convenient kitchen in our apartment to make fajitas. They were accidentally VERY spicy, but it was just amazing having our very first and last home cooked meal in Berlin! To add the cherry to the cake, we had ice cream as well.
The next day we visited the Parliament of Germany, and thereafter, the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. This was perhaps the most emotional part of the trip to me; however I am glad that I was fortunate enough to see the camp after having read stories of nazi prisoners in the past. Knowing that a place used for prisoners just years ago is now a memorial and a historic site perhaps touched each and everyone of us. We were walking on the same grounds innocent children spent their days to death.
In the last two days of our trip, we experienced what it's like to be a medical student in Germany and also visited the Otto Bock Center where we were enlightened with the world of prosthetics and orthotics. I had the chance to perform my first dummy incubation at the Charitè learning center and also had the opportunity to hear different lung and heart problems through a stethoscope.  At the Otto Bock Center, we learned about human muscular and skeletal structures and functions and how artificial devices can change the lives of individuals. Lastly, I saw the Berlin Wall at the East Side Gallery. The graffiti was simply stunning and the portrayal of ideas through artistic paintings were phenomenal.
Our last dinner was at a Moroccan restaurant. I had couscous for the first time and I loved it. This was perhaps the best group  dinner of all.
That morning, we had flights in groups and saying our last byes was definitely hard. I will miss my HOM2014 family. We bonded very well over the weeks, and being in a comfort zone with everyone around truly felt great. I will also miss Olivia and Dr. Wassser. Thank you for making this trip remarkable. After this trip, I feel closer to medicine. It makes me realize how far we have come over the course of centuries to achieve what we have today in health care. This only grows more respect for the modern procedures and anesthesia currently available. And what is love for medicine without history.

No comments: