Sunday, August 10, 2014

An End Full of Beginnings

This trip has been more than I could have ever imagined. As I sit and think of all that I've seen and done in the last five weeks, I cannot seem to focus on one particular event. Each and every day brought something new and unexpected. Each moment led to a new outlook on life. My accepted reality was challenged each and every day I spent in Europe.

Learning how to intubate a patient at the Charite in Berlin.

I am forever thankful for this opportunity. First and foremost, it led me to a passion stronger than I thought I would ever develop. It created chances to see various aspects of medicine that made me fall deeper and deeper in love with my anticipated career. Every piece of information that I learned and every skill that I developed helped me to be sure I am pursuing the correct path for me. Before this study abroad program, I was confident in the security medicine provided. It would provide me with job security and financial stability. Now, I am also confident in the unknown of medicine. There were many times throughout this program that I was unsure and anxious of what was lying ahead. I was nervous to walk into the catacombs at St. Michael's. I felt quite uneasy before entering the operating rooms at the Bonn Uniclinics. I was scared of what I might see in the Fool's Tower in Vienna. However, each of these experiences left me excited and full of butterflies. The things I was most nervous for ended up being some of my favorite parts of this program. Medicine was something I was interested in before coming to Germany. Now it is something that ignites a fire inside of me and makes me want to give absolutely everything I have in pursuit of excellence.

Other students and I preparing to watch various surgeries the the Uniclincs in Bonn.
Apart from learning to love every aspect of the medical industry, my time in Europe led to some other great life lessons as well. My time created confidence in myself and my decision making. I gained a realization of the world like I never expected. I am now able to get from point A to point B on any form of public transportation without internet of any kind. My intuitions of society have strengthened, and my abilities to actually see the world around me are something that I cherish. However, most importantly, I have gained an appreciation for people and truly good hearts. In the last five weeks, I have interacted from people across the globe including teenagers in hostels, professionals in hospitals, students from all over the world, and thirteen other Aggies all of whom have a heart full of selflessness and altruism. No matter what city I was in, there was never a lack of individuals who were willing to help me. After arriving in Paris very late and very frustrated, a sweet woman in the transportation help center was able to help me get public transportation passes and save a little money. In Stuttgart, I was surrounded by families who truly loved me even though we had no blood relation of any kind. In Berlin, I had a waitress at an Italian restaurant who just radiated life and happiness. Each and every city I visited, I experienced genuinely good people. Not only did this trip develop my passion for medicine, but it developed my passion for people as well.

The group, Dr. Wasser, and Olivia on the beach of Norderney.
This trip was a whirlwind of experiences that I could not be more thankful for. I will truly miss Europe and am counting down the days until I can go back. I am truly blessed to have had this experience and hope many more years of Aggies have the same opportunity.

No comments: