Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prost!

I will attempt to put my European trip of a lifetime into one final blog, but I'm afraid I will do it no justice. This trip exceeded my expectations a million times over and I would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I really was in no rush to return to the United States. I was secretly hoping there would be something wrong with my ticket so I wouldn’t have to go home, but then I felt bad because it actually happened to Jon (sorry about that!).

My trek back included Wall-E (yes!), a little Freud, and some vino (for this 20-year old, over international waters of course). My plan was to act as European as possible until the plane touched down in Houston, but even after 3 weeks of attempting to achieve that European chic air, I still couldn’t do it. Despite my failure of looking like a European and return back to the states, I had my reunion with my mom to look forward to which helped with my Germany withdrawals.

Once I was back I was able to distribute my souvenirs to my friends and family, and included was a copy of The Diary of Ann Frank for my 9-year-old twin cousins. I want to share with you a part the thank you note I received from my aunt because I think she sums up part of the reason we traveled to Germany along with all of its amazing medical history.

“Your cousins want to know why would Sarah want to go where the Nazis are? This has opened up a series of questions about WWII. I can’t think of a better way to explain it than with your gift.”

It’s important for us to remember our past but at the same time not let the past characterize who we are as an individual or a nation, like Germany is doing today. If my trip has allowed for my cousins to learn at a young age that a nation like Germany has more than just the memory of Hitler to offer, then I have gained so much more from this trip than I could have ever imagined.

Between all of the schools, hospitals, and museums we visited while in Germany I was able to do a lot of thinking and question what I thought was most important in my life and future. At times this pondering led to minor anxiety attacks as I began to question my future in veterinary medicine, something I’ve aspired to do since I was in 4th grade. For the first time I was able to see myself as something other than a DVM, but never straying too far from the medical field. That was very scary for me, but at the same time liberating. Even now as a junior in college, I still have options, but alas the trip to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna confirmed my passion for horses and equine sports medicine. The world makes sense once again! Along with confirming my career path (as of right now) I am also considering taking a semester off to study in Argentina and work on polo horses and from the looks of the other blogs I have read, I am not the only one suffering from the travel itch.

I want to thank each and every one of you for making this trip very special; it wouldn’t have been the same without you. We have experienced a lot in a short time, some more pleasant than others, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way! Dr. Wasser, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I know that the highlights and elite access of this trip would not have been possible without you, with Stefi’s help of course! I will recommend this trip to everyone I’ve had the pleasure of sharing my German adventures with, and to be honest I already have! Danke und auf wiedersehen.

No comments: