Wednesday, February 25, 2009

But if you left it up to me, everyday would be a holiday From real

I can’t believe that we’ve been back from Germany for one month already. Getting back was probably my most adventurous part of the trip. After missing a flight in Paris and then missing another flight in Atlanta, I finally made it home. If anyone needs advice on how to kill time when missing flights, I’m definitely an expert now. I will admit my first two meals back in Texas were fajitas and ribs. It was sooooo good. Although the donners and Italian gelato were amazing, nothing compares to my Tex-mex. It took about a week for me to feel my toes again, but since then I have taken full advantage of flip flops and shorts. When I first left for Germany I was nervous about being away from my family and boyfriend for what seemed so long. But once we got there time just flew by. We made it to Vienna and I couldn’t believe that we only had a few days left together. I was also surprised that I did not miss my family as much as I thought I would, but don’t tell them that. It took awhile to get back into studying from a textbook and not just experiencing firsthand, and my first round of test grades can attest to that.
Participating in this study abroad program has been by far the best experience of my life. We all had access to opportunities that would be hard to come by in the US. Germany had so much history that we all learned throughout our academic careers, but seeing it up-close and firsthand could never compare to textbook pictures. The same goes for the massive cathedrals in Europe. I wish here in the United States, well mainly in the South, we had churches that looked as grand and majestic. I had never traveled by train before this trip. Then it basically became all I knew after those three weeks. I always complain that it takes an hour to drive from my house to downtown Houston (yet its only 30 miles), and I am convinced if they installed a direct train it would cut the time to at least half an hour. The sizes of the Hauptbonhoffs still blows my mind, they were the size of small airports. The timeliness of all their trains was awesome. I cannot stand being late to anything, so those trains made life a bit easier. The motion activated escalators were probably my favorite.
I was the most impressed with their socialized system of government. I volunteer in a clinic in Bryan for the underinsured and uninsured. I’ve witnessed firsthand how frustrated these people get trying to jump through hoops so they can get medical attention. Seeing the patients in Germany who had no insurance and had been in the hospital for several months would be inconceivable here at home. Germany is so advanced in their technology and methods of medicine. Last summer I spent a week and a half in El Salvador shadowing my mom’s cousin who is a doctor there. All of the equipment was from the ’80’s and by the end of my first day I was running the EKG machine on patients. So it was a HUUUUUGE difference, and thoroughly educational.
While I have enjoyed not having to dehydrate myself so I won’t pay for carbonated water or the restroom, I miss Germany..and Austria…and Prague…and Amsterdam. I’m so glad everyone on the trip was really easy to get along with. It’s safe to say the Karaoke night was a great way to spend our last real night together. It has been the best experience of my life, and I would like to thank Dr. Wasser for really knowing his stuff and being so prepared, the trip would not have been anywhere near the same otherwise. In the years to come, after I pay off endless amounts of future loans and start actually making money, I fully intend to return to Europe (preferably in the summer). I would like to see Spain, more of Paris than just the airport, and more of Germany.

No comments: