Saturday, February 28, 2009

Jus Jon 13 ( The Finale Paper)

Hello, my name is Jonathan Brown. I know that it has been a while since I have been on the blog site, but this is my return. I just want to talk about my experience in Europe. I have to say that by far, this was one of the best times of my life. It was so worth the time. I got to meet new people, go on a midnight excursion with a European, and see a new land that I never ever imagined that a poor kid like me would ever be able to see. It was a life changing experience.
First, I would like to talk about my trip back home. This was so messed up. When I got to the airport, I was checking in and the lady said that I “did not exist.” If there is anything that has ever sought me on fire that did. It was absolutely too early in the morning (5 am something in the morning) to be telling a brother that he “did not exist” on a plane ticket that he had proof that was purchased for him by the professor himself. Then, I had to wait for a Lufthansa lady to see what was up with my ticket. Apparently, she didn’t even know either. She told me the same thing. I was just upset at this point. So, I did what a good student who didn’t want to get in trouble and bring embarrassment upon a good program, person, and university. I called the Dr. Not just any doctor, Dr. Wasser. (I learned that wasser means water in German). After a few discussions with the Dr., a calming down talk with Tarah who was so calm that morning it calmed me down, and after a Dr. Wasser phone call to the lady at the Lufthansa desk, I was on my way back to the states. Thanks Dr. Wasser, and Tarah for those long talks that morning cause I was not in the mood for an airport hiccup. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. When I was upset, I almost lost one of my bags at the airport. What happened was that I went to ask one of the guys at the cash register for change so I could call Dr. Wasser; he said he didn’t have change. So I walked off and went to ask the next guy at the next cafĂ©. In this time period, I left my bag on the bench without knowing it. So, after the nice guy gave me change, I went and made the phone call to Dr. Wasser, and got my confirmed ticket to the United States thanks to the Dr. All this time, I didn’t realize I was missing my bag until I was halfway in the process of getting a ticket to the U.S. I suddenly went looking for my big bags little brother. I backtracked and retraced my steps like a man who had lost a gold nugget in 1905 in the Pike Mountains. I found it and the cops. The cops came looking for me. They asked me what my name was and everything. Unlike me reacting a little nasty to the German cops on the way back from Amsterdam, I just took it easy. I asked him had he seen a purple bag it was about yeah high, draw string, and lonely. He had, and once I found it, I embraced it gladly. The cop looked at me funny. I didn’t realize until 10 minutes later that the cops were looking for me because they thought it was a bomb. Sorry cops, no bomb here. After this, I left Tarah for my plane that I came close to missing. It turned out that I and Sarah actually came on the same plane to Germany and we only sought five rows within each other. That was cool. Anyways, the plane ride home was just relaxing. I could not wait to get home. I wanted to see my mom most of all and my family. I ended up sleeping almost the whole way home. On the way to Germany, I sought between two Lady Longhorns. The ladies weren’t that bad. I actually held a good conversation with them. It was one of my better conversations. The Lady Longhorn by the window and I talked a lot. She knew I was an Aggie, but she was cool with it. She didn’t really care a lot. She talked to me anyways. The lady in the isle seat didn’t say too much to me but she was okay. The lady by the window was a lot friendlier. Once we landed at Bush Airport, I and Sarah went to go get our bags. I got my bag first and I was going to wait for her to get her bag so she wouldn’t be alone there, but she said she was okay, so I left. After this, I meet my scholarship coordinator who brought me to the airport and took me back home. We talked a lot about the trip, President Barack Obama, and my schooling. I was happy to see my scholarship coordinator and I was glad that he remembered to come back and pick me up. For an old guy (I totally have nothing against old people at all and I don’t mean to be offensive at all) he gets around like he is 20 years old. I wouldn’t actually know what it’s like to be a 20 year old because I haven’t lived that long. I must say that when I got back to the airport, it did feel weird. All those people at the gates waiting for their loved ones and the security was all tight like prison security.
Now, to talk about my experience since I have been back in the states. When I got back to the states, all I wanted was chicken strips. I was craving strips. I actually love strips. The first thing I did when I got home was go see my brother to get the car so I could go see my mom. He ended up coming back to my mom’s place to see my mom too. My mom was excited to see me and I was excited to see her too. From here, I went to my brothers’ friend birthday party. It was a cool party. Jet lag hadn’t sought in yet though. The next day, I left and came back to Texas A&M University, got my things for school, and began to get back on the school track again. The things that got me were the wider roads, no more subways, there was no slippery ice on the road, everybody was speaking either English or Spanish, SUV’s were in full force, and I didn’t want to be around a lot of people. I actually didn’t want to be around anybody. I just wanted to get used to the scene again before I actually see anybody. These are just a few things about my re-entry into life in the U.S. It took about a month for me to get over jet lag, getting used to being around large crowds of people, going back to the recreational center and exercing with a lot of people, and seeing so many people in one place. It also took me a while to get used to seeing my friend again. It felt weird being around him for awhile. I actually like him a lot, but I don’t know what it was but I just felt different being around him. I kind of still do because from the trip, I realized that we are so different and moving apart. I actually found out that he might be leaving and it hasn’t quite sunk in, but I just don’t know what I’m going to do since we have been friends since Freshman Year. He’s the first friend I’ve had since elementary school. Anyways, I also felt weird on escalators. In Europe you stand on the right side of the escalator and let the people walking up the escalator walk by on the left side. It got me for a while, but I’m back to normal on that perspective.
This trip has also changed my way of thinking. I used to be one of those people who did not like to think about a lot of stuff because it was so taxing of my energy. Now, I just think about anything that I feel I want to. I don’t hold back on thinking anymore. I see people differently now. I used to think that people were not that interesting, but I found that every person is different and that I should get to know people better before I write them off of my list. I also learned that drinking is not bad if done in moderation and not excess. My favorite drink was the Berliner Kindle. It wasn’t like a mug of beer, but it was very good. My favorite cocktail is the San Francisco. I absolutely love this drink. Another way my thinking has changed is that I like the thought of dating. Before, I seen dating as pointless and not worth my time, but now, I have given it some thought and I just may date. You never know. I have also learned that time is of the essence and must not be waisted at all. Before the trip I used to give myself a lot of leisure time, but I don’t anymore. I have cut my leisure time in half and have devoted my time to studying more. It’s working out so far, but the ware is catching up with me and I will probably need more down time though. I have also found something that I am interested in as far as what I want to be. I have decided that I want to be a Homeopath for animals or a Botanist. I like the Homeopath idea more. Every since that lecture in class in Bonn by the special guest that Dr. Wasser provided the class, I feel like it is what I want to do. It entails everything that I want in a job and I like the idea of me being a Homeopath.
I also look at the world differently. Before I went to Germany, I thought black people and other people who were not white were looked down upon and not wanted in Germany and in Europe. I found out that Europe really doesn’t care what color you are. They are into who you are. They want to know you as a person not your superficial features. I really felt more at home in Europe than here in the U.S. I liked that idea of walking around in Europe and people not looking at me weird. I liked the architecture, operas, the rich culture, history, and the kindness of the people. These things made my experience so much better and gave me a more informed perspective on the world. I had heard stories before I left about Europe that scared me a little, but I found out that Europeans are just like people in the United States. They go about their lives trying to make a living, and they do a lot of the things that Americans do. I used to think that world peace was overrated, but I think that now, maybe it’s something worth trying to establish. I feel that if we can all just get along, which this may never happen, life for people everywhere would be much better. I also see that maybe having friendships with people is worth it. Before I left, I felt that making friends with people was highly overrated and not worth my time really, but I feel that having friends makes life a little bit more interesting and easier for you because you have someone else there who cares about you and who likes you. So far, I have been working on this. So far, I have been trying this out. I have been keeping in touch with a few people from the trip and hanging out with people more instead of the library and my school books which are great friends too. Also, I have decided to visit with other clubs on campus to see how they are and how they work. I feel like I need to learn more about different cultures, people, and lifestyle. So far, I have loved doing this and people on campus have not been shy at all about telling me about them and their culture. They actually don’t mind it. I’m glad for that. I have also decided to be closer to my family than being distant. Before I left to go to Germany that was my first time home in a very long time. Like months long. My mom really missed me and I really didn’t see a point in going home, but since I have came back from Europe, I feel the need to at least try and see them more. I really love them a lot.
Well, as you can see, I am very wordy and long winded about this paper, but I felt that it was necessary to get as much as I could out there to you about how much this trip has changed me. Due to this trip, I have renewed motivation to get through college. I also have a profession that I want to pursue and I feel that I should do everything within my power to get to this goal. True, my goals may change, but at least now, I have a destination. I just have to find a route to it. If it wasn’t for the mercy of Dr. Wasser for letting me go on this trip and the mercy of others I probably wouldn’t have ever gained such rich insight to the big world out there that awaits me, and a major that fits me. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to go on a life changing trip. Thanks.

No comments: