Friday, September 02, 2005

Not Graduating and Other Adventures in Life

I fly back into Texas on Friday. Saturday, I got a piece of snail mail (well, that's when I read it while I was opening and reading my two month backlog of snail mail) that said I didn't meet with the requirements for gradutation and I needed to go in on Aug 15 between such-and-such hours to figure it out. Needless to say, I was not whereever I was supposed to be on Aug 15. But they also gave me a telephone number to call and said that I had until Sept. 2 to get it all figured out or my diploma would be destroyed and I would have to pay for it all over again when I finally did get this whole mess sorted out. I called the number on Monday and found out that I had been awarded my Animal Science diploma but I was lacking like 6 classes (not hours, classes!!!!!) for my Spanish degree. WHAT?!?!?!?!? So I spent all day on Monday tracking down my Spanish advisor (the ever-elusive and very much over-worked) Antonio Caraballo. Finally, just before 5pm I got a chance to sit down with him, figure out that it was all a huge computer error and have him fill out the requisite paper work to get classes substituted for others that, hopefully, the computer would recognize as filling the appropriate requirements in my Spanish degree plan. The thing was that since I have a double degree the computer took the classes that it had applied in my Animal Science degree and tried to put them in the same slots in my Spanish degree, when I needed them to fill different requirements because I had other classes to fill those slots. Anyway, it was so messed up that it had one of my Spanish classes in the 'Does Not Meet Any Requirements' section! So, a few minutes before 5pm I hand delivered the paperwork to the office of Liberal Arts Office and then this morning I called them to make sure that they were working on it; they were. :-) Luckily, it all got worked out and I will get both of my hard-earned (and over-paid-for) diplomas. (Yay!)
Then, of course, comes the difficult part of getting a job/finding a career.

No comments: