Sunday, September 18, 2005

Reflection

Not a day goes by that I don’t feel this summer’s experience affecting me and the way I perceive my surroundings. At first, I was certain that the small superficial things I was noticing were a part of reverse culture shock (the flags raised everywhere, fried foods, southern accents), but as time goes by I have begun to realize the extent to which this summer’s trip has changed my perspective, and in may ways, my life.
I will never forget the moment when I first felt completely secure and confident in my desire to be a doctor. I was peering over the shoulder of that German heart surgeon in Bonn when suddenly it all became clear in my mind! The patient’s chest was gaping open on the table, his heart pumping right before my eyes, and I was fascinated by the technical aspect of it all. But for the first time in my life, I was finally able to observe medicine as something that I one day hope to be a part of- that is, a most elaborate combination of trust, determination, skill, and cooperation.
As a student, it was particularly inspiring to meet and discuss important world issues with other students who are professionally motivated. Academically, this trip to Germany opened my eyes to a world of education taking place outside the conventional classroom. I was able to learn a great deal about some of the more specific cultural differences between Germany and America, and after having had those personal experiences, I intend to approach any cultural difference I encounter in the future with respect for different perspectives and an open mind, and to encourage others to do so as well. This summer I was most impressed by the Germans as a multilingual society, and having experienced the difficulty of living in a country without speaking the language, I now have a much greater appreciation for language and its power. Indeed, my time abroad has encouraged me to work towards becoming fluent in at least two non-English languages. Also, I couldn’t help but notice and appreciate the Germans’ collective concern for the environment; set against this new backdrop, U.S. policy and many of our daily standards seem shamefully wasteful and destructive.
In addition to boosting my professional and academic confidence, my time in Germany taught me to seek out new experiences, and to view them as exciting challenges rather than as something to be feared. Before this summer, I had never used any public transportation system other than the Texas A&M University bus system. Having successfully navigated the metro system of Paris and the tram and train systems throughout Germany, I now have greater confidence in my ability to adapt to my surroundings, even when faced with technical or language barriers.
Studying the history of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust was an extremely moving experience for me. One can read volumes on the atrocities committed, but the horrific reality of walking through Dachau’s gas chamber and the opportunity to talk with Germans of my generation about the collective guilt that continues to affect their society were unforgettable experiences for me. As a pre-medical student, our study of the Nuremberg doctors’ trial and medical crimes committed during the Holocaust has emphasized to me the importance of an international code of medical ethics. More than anything, the historical perspective I gained from the Germany Vet Med Trip has taught me to carefully question authority and to approach global politics with a more critical eye.

No comments: