Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Reflections...

Today was the first day since we have returned from Germany that I actually missed Germany... as confusing as that sounds! Sitting in Biochem today with Kristen, our professor was lecturing about Zwitterions (I'm sure you all can relate). After explaining that it was a German scientist that the ion was named after, he began to count in German. Kristen and I began to count along, without realizing it. It amzed us that it came so naturally, and it brought back so many funny memories from our German lessons. Later on, I ran into Lindsey... it made me realize how much I miss all of the people from the trip. We hugged and caught up in the thirty seconds that we had. It made me sad to think that we might never hang out as a group again... or use our German!

So, sitting here at the SCC, I have been reflecting on how I have changed since I've come back from Germany. My family and friends say that I am more mature and confident. My boyfriend says that I am much more independent, and that I handle stress in a more positive way. Sometimes, I don't feel that these changes have taken place, as I dash around frantically trying to get to class, visit friends, attempt to study, and attend organizational meetings... but then again, I don't get bogged down in things that used to stress me out. Now, I realize that you can function all day long on just 5 hours of sleep WITHOUT a nap the next day. I can now sleep ANYWHERE! Children here are now adorable to me, after experiencing German children.

Being back in Texas has also made me thankful for a lot of things I took for granted before going to Germany. One of the most important things was spending time with your loved ones. You don't realize how much you care about someone until you leave them for six weeks. Before, I took the time I spent with my family, friends, and Braden for granted... now I cherish every moment I get to spend with them. Another aspect that I'm now thankful that we have in Texas is our cars! I LOVE being able to get around College Station without having to rely on buses and trains. Although I highly promote public transportation for pollution reasons, I love my SUV. I'm a sad case...

Germany taught me a lot of things that I will never forget, and can't even begin to explain. I tell everyone I know that they should study abroad, and that it will change their life. I still find myself saying "danke" when my food arrives at restaurants, and "bitteshun" when someone thanks me. I want to go back to Germany someday, and use all the knowledge that I recieved over the summer. I just want to thank everyone for being amazing... Dr. Wasser and the AIB staff. You totally made my summer. And changed my life. Thank you...

No comments: