Sunday, June 29, 2014

Around the Corner

First off I'm crazy excited! I know I won't be sleeping the night before the program starts. I'm happy that most of this trip is planned for us, and done by people who have experience and know the better things to do. I don't think I could handle planning the whole thing on my own; just planning 3 weekends is turning out to be a job itself.

I joined the program because I was raised very conservatively and very sheltered. Going to college was a culture shock itself to me and I realized that I don't like viewing the world from one specific angle when there are so many others out there. That's the biggest thing I want to learn from this experience- another view on life. Secondly whenever school is in session I feel like I'm always doing just that...school. I do nottt get to take the time to be with friends and keep in touch like I want to because, unfortunately, I'm always studying. I'm looking forward to going on the biggest adventure I've had so far and being able to spend some time doing things I really enjoy.

Of course I'm anxious about my family. I want them to like me and hope we become close. I'm nervous that I may do something completely socially acceptable in the US and yet totally offensive in Germany. I hope that doesn't happen. I've read some to try and prevent it but you just don't know what you don't know and it is something that could definitely happen. I'm not anxious about much else except for maybe flying that far. The longest plane ride I've been on was 3 hours and cabin fever sets in the last stretch of those flights. I can only imagine how bad it will be being in a plane for 10 hours.

I know I'm going to miss my friends and family back in the states alot,but at the same time I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone else who will be stepping out of their comfort zone with me.

No comments: