Friday, February 28, 2014

I haven't schnelled in awhile.


As I approach college graduation and ultimately entrance into Medical School, I often find myself reflecting on my overall college experience.  These are “the best four years of one’s life” and until this year I did not honestly believe that conception. I accomplished many milestones throughout my educational journey, yet I knew I wanted to achieve more. I’ve never been to Europe, let alone study the History of Medicine in Europe therefore I knew on this trip I would encompass many firsts. Yet it is not until I returned to the states that I realized how much I’ve really learned about myself, others, and different cultures on this journey.
         As an American I am guilty of not knowing much about non-Americans  or cultures other than my own. Germans are magnificent people with a beautiful country.  There is a lot I did not know concerning their history, culture, and even healthcare that I quickly was informed of during our journey. I felt crippled that I came to a foreign country and the only words I knew how to say in German was  "Sprechen Sie Englisch". Surprisingly, they were very accommodating to foreigners and spoke perfect English. Something that is rather disrespectful in America is something of the norm in a country with a plethora of languages and culturally aware citizens. It is my goal to become bilingual, maybe even trilingual. A rather ambitious dream, but the world is neither monolingual nor monocultural so I see no reason I should be.
         I would also like to add that their healthcare system is something I am rather envious of from the patient’s standpoint, but as a future doctor I am glad to be an American. The fact that medical bankruptcy is unheard of would put every American’s mind at ease. It means that a chronic illness would not be the end of your world or pocketbook.  This could possibly attribute to the thriving German economy in a time of global economic distress. Yet, as a doctor and going through the numerous years of school, stress, and debt I would love to be compensated as an American doctor. But German doctors do not have to worry about the latter due to free schooling. On that note, I think America should take some notes from these very very smart people.
          I also learned that I am capable of much more than I thought. I grew as a person as I immersed myself in a new culture and new people that I embraced with open arms. Also coming from a Historically Black College and University and also being considered African-American, it is interesting to see people who “look” like you, but have a different history than you do. Because there is a huge difference between African-American and African-Europeans, our stories are different, our history is different, and we even see ourselves differently than each other.  But luckily for us  a gorilla would see us as all the same.
         I am also surprised that I gained the most knowledge outside of a formal classroom and textbook. The museums, tours, and immersing myself in the culture allowed me to speak better German in a short amount of time, use public transit, and distinguish between anatomical parts of a human model. This is something rather surprising for someone who was raised on traditional schooling and sat in front of a professor and book and regurgitated knowledge. To anyone who thinks the latter is a greater teaching tool, try to ordering food when hungry or looking for a restroom in one’s time of need will and you will learn anything and everything in as little amount of time possible.
         Another thing I learned is that people bond over the minutest qualities. My ten classmates and I were the visitors in a foreign country. Our confusion, wonder, and eagerness brought us together and held us together. We have many stories about how lost, tired, confused, or a combination of all three we were. We were held accountable for each other and we looked out for each other. To my dismay we successfully made it back from New Years and Prague!
         Lastly, free restrooms and free water are human necessities, but in Europe are very profitable businesses.  But unexpectedly, these are the only two things that I missed about the states.  I actually did not want to come home to traffic, gas prices, and a stressful last semester of school.  These are all troubles of the United States, but not Germany. I want to go back soon, but I also want to go back with the same amazing people.  I could not have traveled with greater peers who are all unique and lovable in their own way, an instructor who always kept everyday new and exciting, or an Olaf who could make me schnell for the longest 10 more minutes of my life. It all happened so fast! I can’t believe that I’ve seen so much in so little time. I miss going on a new adventure everyday and most of all I miss Europe.

No comments: