Friday, February 28, 2014

Definitely Going Back!

Studying abroad in Germany, the Czech Republic, and Austria has had to be one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had. It was a little difficult getting back and having to settle back into College Station’s time zone. Although the trip was relatively short compared to semester long study abroad trips, I still felt like I gained a lot of experience and knowledge about the different cultures, foods, languages, histories, and health care systems.
It was very eye-opening for me to see the similarities and differences between European countries and the United States. The first thing that stood out to me was that the restrooms, water, and refills are not free, which is something that we see as a norm here in the United States. Something I really liked seeing in Germany that I would really like to see here in Texas was the walking from place to place and being able to use inexpensive public transportation. Just being pushed in to a country where the primary language wasn't English was a bit difficult. Although most Germans, Czechs, and Austrians speak English, it was fun to practice and speak a little German. I now feel the need to learn another language other than English or Spanish. I really wish I would have learned a little bit of more German to be able to fully immerse into the culture. However I think that being in a new place with a different language made it that much more adventurous and interesting to me.
Prior to landing in Germany, I did not know a single German dish. I was even afraid that I would have an idea as to what to order. However I feel in love with the most simple and most available food in Germany, currywurst. As soon as I arrived in College Station I kept missing that small piece of Germany. As soon as I could, I took the bus to HEB and purchased some bratwursts, curry, ketchup and a few other spices. It was not as good as the ones from the streets of Germany, but to my surprise, they weren't that bad.
Being able to see another country’s views on politics and health care has allowed me to be able to compare their health care and our soon-to-be “universal health care”. Ever since I heard of the idea of the Affordable Care Act or a reform to our previous health care system, I was very excited because I grew up in a family where diabetes and other chronic illness were prominent. However, there were some family members that were stuck between not being poor enough to apply for Medicare, yet not being rich enough to pay for health care insurance. As a young adult, I was still unsure if I completely trusted this idea because it sounded more like a fantasy. It was so great to see people undergoing surgeries without the worry of being unable to pay for the procedure once they wake up. It was reassuring to see this process not only work, but work in a country such as Germany, which is known for its medical advances and beneficial research. Observing the surgeries at the University Clinics was the first time I had ever been in an operating room.

The trip overall was a great learning experience, from my first New Year’s Eve away from my family, to my first surgery observation. I was able to grow as a person and make new relationships. This trip really inspired me not only to go back to Germany, but to look for more countries to visit in the future.

No comments: