Sunday, February 23, 2014

Danke und Gig 'Em!

Studying abroad in Europe this past winter has altered my perspective as an American in may ways. First of all, I have reframed my perspective of foreign countries. I am glad to finally be able to say that I have broadened my life experience beyond my upbringing in my home country. I find myself more concerned with world conflicts and news in foreign countries, which is of special interest now during the Winter Olympics. It's not like I didn't care before, only that now I have a greater understanding of life outside the U.S. and therefore a greater understanding of news outside the U.S., particularly in Europe. I feel like I now know a little bit about living in a different country, at least enough to have a stronger opinion about what goes on in other countries, even when it doesn't affect my own life in America.

Second, I have reframed my perspective of America, since now I have had the experience of examining my home country from the outside looking in. The primary subject at hand on this study abroad was the differences between healthcare systems in America and in Europe, which is obviously important for me to have a grasp on as a future healthcare practitioner. However, participating in this exercise over winter break has made me unafraid of doing so with other subjects, including civil rights in gay marriage, for instance. I have gained some skill in comparing America objectively to other countries, which is an important skill for all Americans to look for alternative solutions to our problems and make more knowledgable decisions as a country.

Third, I have reframed my perspective as a future healthcare practitioner. Having exposure to so many different aspects of European medicine, including healthcare systems and practice, has given me unique experiences as a pre-medical student. They measure up to so more than a just a resume boost and something interesting to bring up during interviews, though. The content of this trip forced me to take into account the evolution and importance of social justice in medicine, particularly for women, which allows me to be more conscientious of treatment decisions and how they apply to the individual of any diverse background. In addition, learning about the logistics of a relatively developed and efficient healthcare system gives me a greater understanding of the process of developing and implementing our new healthcare system in America. I now feel like I have a more knowledgable opinion of Obamacare in America.

Finally, studying abroad has allowed me to reframe my perspective as an individual. Meeting and interacting with new people from different backgrounds and cultures from my own has enabled me to broaden my understanding of the human family. I also learned about myself on this trip, in that I do well living in another country and immersing myself in other ways of life. Lastly, I identified all the awesome American stuff that I take for granted (like free restrooms, bottled non-sparkling water, and Pringles) and what some Germans might take for granted (like free school, cheep trains, and good bratwurst). Any way I look at it, this trip changed my life, most importantly my awareness, understanding, and acceptance of perspectives and ways of life that might differ from my own. Thanks, Dr. Wasser, Olaf, and all of you guys and gals for experiencing this with me! Aufwiedersehen/Until we meet again... :)

No comments: