Friday, February 28, 2014

Back in the USA

Being back in the United States for the past month and a half, and getting back into the swing of school and work, has been bitter sweet.  It is nice to be back home; however, sometimes I wish I still had the feeling of adventure and discovery that accompanied me during the study abroad.  I feel as though I have developed a connection with Germany and Austria, and I catch myself missing the beautiful cathedrals, running along the river, and being immersed in completely different culture.  Though I was ready to come home at the end of our two and a half week foray through Europe, within a few days of being back in America, I missed being a part of the European culture, hearing German, even if I didn’t always understand, and being able to just walk and explore a new city.   
            More than anything, the study abroad taught me to expand my horizons.  I have always been a fairly adventurous person, but I know I can also be closed-minded at times.  When I signed up to attend the trip, my main reasoning was to explore, not necessarily to immerse myself in a new culture, or to gain knowledge about current medical issues and health care.  Going in, I didn’t think my views were going to change.  Within even the first week of the trip, I was forced to reevaluate my ideas, mostly by fellow students.
            I enjoyed sitting down to dinner and becoming engaged in discussions about religion, politics, healthcare, medicine, and our backgrounds and families.  I loved being asked tough questions that made me really think and discover exactly what I believe.  Best of all, never once during the trip did a controversial conversation leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth, and I believe there are very few groups of ten people, who had never met, that could challenge me like that and mesh so well.
            Since arriving back home, I’ve noticed that my opinions, especially those on medicine and healthcare, have, I think, become more informed.  Rather than being based on preconceived ideas and on other’s opinions, my beliefs regarding the different aspects of health care and medicine are more my own deduction.  Specifically, after learning so much about different types of health care programs and having the opportunity to speak with those benefiting from a universal health care system, my view of the subject has changed dramatically.
            College has been the most amazing few years of my life, but I think this study abroad has been the highlight of my college experience.  Never before have I been so profoundly influenced by a culture, my professor, and my fellow students, and, since then, I have missed the museums, the food, the public transportation, and yes, even the city walking tours.  I hope that I will get the chance at some point of my life to go back (and hopefully, the next time around, I will know a little more German).  

No comments: