Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Signing off...

It's the third day of my Junior year and I'm sitting here writing this blog post, wondering how time has flown by so quickly since our last day in Berlin. To be honest, I've been putting off writing this last post because it seems so final; like I'm letting go of all of the experiences and memories from my study abroad. For several weeks after I returned home from Bonn, I felt empowered but also unsatisfied. I was so happy so see my family and friends, but I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Life back in Texas seemed so bland and unfamiliar. Life in Germany seemed so far away and intangible. I felt like I had all of this new knowledge, but nothing to do with it. I had the urge to always be doing something - traveling, eating out with friends, exploring new things, and learning. Yet it seemed like life at home didn't offer as many opportunities for these things as life in Germany did.

As the summer went on and I thought about my trip more, my attitude changed completely. After much reflection, I decided to start using all of the knowledge I had learned to better myself and others. I'm now adjusted again to my normal life at home, but not a day goes by where I don't think about my time in Bonn. I now have a new perspective on life, relationships, political issues, food and beer preferences (most importantly), and more. I wanted to share six things I've learned to anyone that may be looking into this program.

1. Step outside your comfort zone.
If study abroad is something that interests you but makes you slightly uncomfortable, do it! I was so nervous to be in a foreign country for six weeks living with a host family whom I had only met over email. Looking back, I can say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. This decision led to many other opportunities to step outside my comfort zone. During the program, I tried new foods, attempted to use my broken German, made friends that I wouldn't have met if it weren't for study abroad, traveled to new places, rode a bike for the first time in ten years, and so much more. It was through these experiences that I grew and learned. By going out into the unknown, we come back as a better, stronger, wiser person.

2. Read the news. 
Read the news. Watch the news. Pay attention to the news. Know your history. I cannot stress this enough. This is one of the largest ways my study abroad has impacted me. Before the program, I hardly ever clicked on news articles. I just skimmed over headlines and assumed that I knew enough to keep me informed. Boy was I ill-prepared for when many Europeans asked me about political or social issues my own country was facing. At one point, my host mom said to me "I can guarantee you that I know a lot more about what's going on in your country than you know." She was right. Coming back, I downloaded several different news apps, started to read as many news articles as I could, listened to NPR everyday, and talked about the news with my parents and friends. I realized the value of knowing what's happening not only in my own country, but all around the world.

3. Never stop learning.
Listen to your teachers, professors, mentors, peers, etc. Truly be interested in listening to what they have to say. Ask lots of questions. We only have one life on this earth, so learn as much about it as you can. Learn about people, history, scientific advancements, politics. It is our duty to stay educated both inside and outside of school. After the trip, I have tried to listen to at least one educational podcast a day. It is so easy to learn this way. I like to listen to them while I'm driving, cleaning, getting ready, and exercising. I would like to thank Dr. Wasser and Professor Waltz for being such great professors. They were so eager to answer any questions that we had, and truly wanted to enrich us with knowledge. I seriously have never learned so much in six weeks. Not only did I learn about history of medicine and neurophysiology of music, I learned about culture, food, healthcare systems, thalasso therapy, world history, tai chi, and classical music. And I also learned a heck of a lot about myself.

4. Respect others.
Nothing teaches you more about other cultures than traveling. Although Western Europe is somewhat similar to the United States, there were still some cultural differences that threw me off at first. Respecting others and accepting their differences is such an important skill. The first time I jaywalked in Germany, I was scowled at and yelled at by this one man. Although I had no idea what he was saying, it didn't sound too nice. Although I was quite offended and shocked at first that some stranger was yelling at me for simply crossing the street, I quickly realized that it is rude in Germany to jaywalk. Although it seems strange to us, the Germans are very orderly and stick to their rules, so it was no surprise that I got dirty looks when jaywalking. In cases like this, it is important to realize the cultural and social differences between you and other people. This was only one example, but I could name off so many other times when I encountered someone that was different than me. We need to learn how to respect others that have a different set of values, ideas, and morals than our own.

5. Sleep when you're dead.
This is something that was repeated by Dr. Wasser, Waltz, and Alexa. I have never been too big on staying up late and waking up early. This changed real quick. After waking up at 3:30 am to catch a flight to Vienna, staying out late exploring different cities, and skipping a little sleep to have great conversations with friends, I can say that a little lack of sleep won't hurt you. It was through these late nights and early mornings that some of my best relationships and memories were formed. Study abroad is exhausting, but the reward is so worth it. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to study abroad in college, so take every opportunity you can to embrace it and enjoy it. You'll find some time later on to catch up on sleep!

6. Study Abroad!
This experience has taught me so much and continues to impact me everyday. I know that the memories and relationships formed on this trip will last a lifetime. I cannot wait to go back and visit Germany in the future, and I plan on staying in touch with my host family (they were absolutely amazing). If you're thinking about studying abroad but you're a little hesitant, go for it. It will be one of the most valuable things you do during your college career. Meet new people, travel with your peers, and be open to learning.


Last hike with our host parents
Auf wiedersehen (for the last time).


No comments: