Monday, July 15, 2019

Auf Wiedersehen :(

        I've been avoiding writing this last blog post because I didn't want to face the reality that the trip is finally over, but here we are. Our last week in Germany was nothing short of amazing. On our last two days in Bonn we had class and visited some of our favorite spots from the last 6 weeks, including the beloved Tacos. Monday was particularly exciting because we had a bit of a bed bug scare. Luckily, no bugs were ever found but Emily and I did have the pleasure of dragging all of our belongings onto various forms of public transportation to the AIB in large trash bags to be washed on high heat, just in case. As much of an inconvenience as this was, it's funny to look back on now. On Tuesday I had my last dinner with my host family and gave them a note thanking them for everything they've done over the last 6 weeks. I had to hold back my tears as we said our final goodbye that night, but they did flow once I was in the privacy of my room. The rest of the night was spent cramming all my clothes and all of the souvenirs I'd accumulated into my two suitcases and getting ready to leave for Berlin the next day.

        We had an early morning Wednesday to start our journey to Berlin. On the train ride, I worked on our last neurophysiology exam and got some much needed sleep. Once we arrived in Berlin there was no time for rest. All 31 of us unloaded the train with bags in tow and headed to the subway, with multiple staircases and escalators along the way. My suitcase took a real beating on that day, but survived with only a few scratches. After a quick breakfast at the hotel, we headed out for a walking tour of the city. I loved doing this on the first day because it gave us a first hand look at the rich history of the city we'd be exploring for the next few days. We also got to visit the Charite hospital museum. Our tour guide Tiny Tom was so fun and made the whole experience both educational and exciting. Getting to see the various preserved specimens was my favorite part.

        Thursday was My Berlin Day. I was excited for this day since we first talked about it, but my excitement peaked once I was assigned to Nico's group. Mindfulness and contemplative practices are something that have interested me for a while, so I couldn't wait to learn more. We started the day by briefly introducing ourselves to the group and then forming a meditation circle. We closed our eyes and focused on the different sounds we heard. This practice of tuning into the sounds around us continued for the rest of the afternoon in the subway station, on the street, on the Teufelsberg and even inside the subway. This seems like such a simple task, but taking the time to pause and really be aware of your surroundings has a huge impact. Doing this throughout the day left me with a sense of both calmness and awareness. This day reminded me that it's important to take a step back and not get caught up in the stress of our daily lives. It also reminded me that if you take the time to really be present in your daily activities, they'll be much more rewarding. At end of the day, each group presented their experiences from the day. It was so cool to learn about Berlin through the eyes of four totally different people. Hearing all the presentations was really eye opening. My Berlin Day was definitely one of my favorite activities of the whole program.
     


         Friday was our last full day in Berlin. We started the day by visiting the Sachsenhausen concentration camp memorial site. As hard as it is to see the images from the camp and hear the horrific stories, I'm very glad we had this opportunity. It gave a real life example of what it means to be "the other" and showed how truly dangerous this mentality is. After returning to the hotel, we got ready for our farewell dinner. We were all enjoying the delicious food when suddenly the lights dimmed and music started playing. Out of the back room walks a belly dancer!! I remember being told that this dinner would include surprises, but I never expected this. Everyone took turns dancing, including Dr. Wasser and professor Waltz. This experience was so fun and the perfect way to end the night. We all teared up after hearing a few words from Dr. Wasser and Alexa and shared a group hug, then starting saying our emotional goodbyes. Saturday morning I had a 5 AM wake up call to finish packing and be ready for my taxi at 6:15. Before I knew it, I was on my flight to Houston.
        This trip was more than I could've ever imagined it would be. I learned so much, I became more open-minded, and I truly think I'm a different person than I was back in May. I'll never forget the memories I made in Germany and I'll probably never stop talking about it, sorry friends and family! Time to sign off because I'm getting emotional. Auf Wiedersehen!!!




No comments: