Sunday, October 23, 2016

Let's Go...Anywhere!

I found myself scrolling through everyone's pictures from our European adventures last week and thought, "wow, I can't believe I went to Europe this summer."  It seems so surreal and like it happened so long ago.  How lucky am I to have spent 6 weeks traversing Europe?!

I have done a lot of traveling in my life, but nothing compares to the independence I was allowed to envelop while on the other side of the world.  The friendships I made are also a huge component of the trip I will treasure for a lifetime.  These girls didn't just become my friends; we relied on each other for guidance and made sure we were all safe just like a family would.  I'm sad to say that as much as we've tried, we have yet to successfully make plans to reunite.  The friends I made studying abroad are some of the best friends I've ever had, and I sure do miss them!

A lot has happened since we returned from Germany.  As you may know, I had sort of an eye-opening moment at the Otto Bock Institute as we watched a video of a man learning to use his new extremities.  The thought of one day being the kind of therapist that teaches amputees and/or paraplegics how to use their new technology hit me, and it has been my mission since then.  Just days after getting home I began my PT school application and searched for shadowing/volunteering opportunities to make my resume more competitive.  The semester has been a whirlwind!  Balancing volunteering, school, and my presidential position in Aggie Sweethearts keeps me busy, but I am happy to say I have completed 4 out of 5 of my applications!  I can hardly wait to see where I will begin a new adventure next fall.  I don't think this journey would be nearly as exciting if it weren't for my realization in Berlin.

Although applying to PT school and Aggie football have been exciting, I can't help but wish I was traveling instead of being cooped up in College Station.  I am yearning to get out of this town and just spend a few days away from my computer and all the responsibilities that come with school.  I need an escape, even if that means just camping out at Lake Bryan or taking a day trip to Austin.  Our European adventures have left me hungry for more variety in life.  I am so thankful for the time we had together in Germany, for Hilde (my host mom), and the experience of a lifetime!  Most people will never gain half of the worldliness we were blessed to attain over the summer, and I am so grateful to have learned so much at such a premier time in my life.

No comments: