Thursday, September 24, 2009

So, when are we going back?

The feelings I had on the way to Germany about adjustment-to-culture issues existed, oddly enough, also on my way back to the states. I thought to myself, "how am I going to eat breakfast without fruit picked from a garden in the backyard?", "what about drinking wine at almost every meal? I'm not 21.", "there aren't little bakeries at every corner in Texas!", "actually, there is no such thing as a 'corner' in Texas, everything is so spread out and far away.", "will I remember how to drive?", "how will I ever go without trains, subways, and trams?" The list of concerns went on and on. I now eat fruit and bread from the grocery store and drive everywhere I need to go but I have definitely adjusted to life just like I had to do when arriving in Europe.
For weeks, I found myself cooking renditions of the meals my host mom made me for dinner and eating Nutella for every snack. My umbrella took a break from its long and laborious summer vacation. I was waking up early every morning and going to sleep at a reasonable time, if not earlier than reasonable, which is the exact opposite of my normal sleep schedule. I replaced my jackets with shorts and came to terms with driving everywhere instead of walking.
It felt as if the instant I landed back in Texas, responsibities of all different sorts were waiting at the airport with a sign that read my name. I had to start working and going to school for 30 plus hours a week. There were no more mornings where I could wake up and think "what country am I going to today?" It was as if being in Europe was like a life away from life.
Everyday was so relaxing, pleasant, and care-free. I think having five solid weeks in such an atmosphere made me realize that I have my whole life ahead of me; there is no need to rush it. I have now set numerous goals for myself because I have assured myself that I have the time to achieve them.
I want to travel every chance that I get. I want to become fluent in a foreign language. I want to learn how to play the piano as brilliantly as Alex. I want to work in another country. I want to find a way to make recycling more prominent in the states. I want to spend countless numbers of hours at The Louvre. I want to visit my host mom again. I want to visit the AIB again. I want Cosmo and my dog, Farrah to meet. I want to volunteer abroad. I want to, one day, have a garden. I want to always remember Germany 2009 and keep it in my heart forever.
I was so afraid of traveling abroad without someone I knew but I came back with like 18 new friends, stories that still make me laugh hysterically, professional and academic experiences that I would never find elsewhere, and an attitude that says, if you want it to anything can happen, anywhere, at anytime.
It was the best trip anyone could have asked for and I am so appreciative that I got to experience it all.

I love Germany 2009!
Brittany

No comments: