Tuesday, September 01, 2009

As Time Goes By...

Well it has been about 3 weeks since I have been back in the states. After the start of classes and getting down my new daily routine, I find it hard to imagine that just 3 weeks ago I was traveling through Europe! My first couple days back I had to remind myself to say "Excuse Me" and "Thank You" instead of "Endschuldigung" and "Danke" (my spelling is poor I know. just bear with me). The weather is depressing and miserably hot, but I am glad to have air conditioning back. I am slowly starting to remember to bring a jacket with me to restaurants again.

Since I have been back I started noticing how much of the German language or things were actually around me that I never really understood till now. For instance, I clean houses as one of my many jobs and in this one house they had a sign that read "Welkomme". I had always figured it was probably another language and not just very poor spelling, but now i know it's German! I feel that by having visited the country I know so much more about it that the average American. When people talk about these places that I have now been, I can have a real picture in my head instead of imagining what they might be talking about.

I still get a kick out of saying "ya i went to Germany for about 5 weeks. Spent a week in Austria, visited Switzerland one weekend, and the Czech Republic another weekend." as if it were no big deal! Just in a very matter of fact manner : )

I do miss Steffie, Olaf, and everyone from AIB as well as missing the country itsself. I'm very grateful for the opportunities and experiences I had on this trip and I'm already planning what I want to do when I go back.

Tschuss,
Stephanie

P.S. I'm very happy that i've seen quite a few of you guys around campus and college station already!

1 comment:

Caity said...

Stephanie!!! I know exactly what you mean with the "Entshuldigung" and "Danke" thing! I would catch myself using those in London, and the London subway! Oh my goodness I would stand up and rush out of the door and everyone would look at me like "Doesn't that girl know you don't have to hurry because the train will wait for you."