Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's Just Not The Same!!

Life, as I know/knew it, has changed. It's been about a month and a half since I've been back in the States and it sucks here even more than it did before. I wasn't too happy with the US to begin with, but I got by alright because I didn't know what I was really missing, and now I do.
For a while after I got back, I was pretty depressed. I had nothing exciting to do (aside from riding horses, which I missed a lot!), nothing old and exquisite to look at, nowhere worthwhile to go. I missed my new friends, learning things about medicine, history, and culture, and being amidst the German people. You know the first thing I saw when I got off the plane after a full day of ticket misunderstandings, lines, delays, and sleeping in an akward position? A HUMUNGOUS FAT PERSON... welcome to America.
It took me about a week to stop trying to speak German to people. Since I'm from Miami, I first had to adapt to speaking Spanish again, THEN when I got back here to Texas, I had to switch to English. I've looked for bread that is at least similar to what they have in Europe, but even in the so called "artisan" bakeries there is none to be found. I miss taking trains everywhere. I miss seeing dogs everywhere. I miss NOT seeing children everywhere.
As soon as I can, I am going back to Europe. I know I want to spend some time at the research farm we visited before I go off to vet school, and I eventually want to move to somewhere in Germany or Switzerland. That's my goal.
I long to be back on the other side of the pond, but I suppose I can always look foward to returning. But it won't be soon enough!

No comments: