Sunday, June 19, 2016

Less than two weeks out

The fact that I'm crossing the Atlantic in less than 10 days still doesn’t feel real to me yet. I’ve done my fair share of traveling in the US, but visiting New York and California is nowhere close to the same level as what we’ll be doing this summer. I can hardly fathom crossing a state boundary in anything under 6 hours, much less a nation’s border. I remember when I went up to visit my grandfather in Long Island, New York, and was amazed by how old everything seemed… Most of that was made no earlier than the 17th or 18th centuries. I’m sure I will spend a good portion of my time looking in shock at buildings constructed 600-700 years earlier than that.

I’m sure I’ll become acutely aware of my Texan accent as well as the lack of Texas barbecue over the next month. I think I’m most nervous about having to rely on trains and buses to get around the region as I’ve only used a subway twice in my life. However, I’m incredibly excited for this chance to see more of the world with my own eyes rather than through photos taken by others. I can hardly wait to get to meet my host family, who have already promised to show me some of their favorite places in the region around Bonn. I’m excited to get to know a group of fellow Aggies over the next month, and I’m looking forward to learning more about myself and challenging myself to take advantage of these opportunities being given to me. I hope to experience authentic foods over there instead of relying on the chains also found here and I am cautiously optimistic about my ability to learn enough German to “get by.” I’m also curious to see how the beer in Germany fares in comparison with its reputation.

I’m also glad that I’m coming over as part of a study abroad. Instead of simply being a tourist, I can experience a more realistic perspective of German life. In addition, I’ll get to learn about the history of medicine where it actually happened. As a bit of a classical music nerd, I’m really looking forward to see where the new Neurophysiology of Music course takes us.

Overall, I’m a little bit nervous about leaving my comfortable, safe place here in Texas, but my excitement about this opportunity is continually growing stronger as it approaches. See you soon, Bonn!

No comments: