Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The time has come

Tomorrow is my last day of work before I leave for Germany. Wooohooo! I will be on my plane in 3 days! Time really went by fast. I have packed and weighed my bag. It was easier than I thought it would be to pack for a month, in one suitcase.

I am very excited to meet my host family. They email me often and seem really awesome. I am working on getting pictures for them of me and my family and friends and life here in the US. I want to bring them something to remember me by as well. I am also excited that the finals of the World Cup will be going on while we are there! Germany is doing so good and I hope they make it all the way so we can experience the excitement while we are there! I am looking forward to getting to know everyone in the group better and meeting new people. I hope we all become good friends and have fun together! If I had to pick a weekend trip that I am most excited about, it would be Prague. I have it built up to be this beautiful place in my mind and have heard nothing but great things about it. I am also excited to become an expert traveler by the end of the trip :). I hope to learn as much German as possible. My great grandpa actually spoke fluent German, but it did not get passed along unfortunately and I would love to pass on some German to my family some day...Granted I learn enough to pass on! I am also very very excited to see my friend Simone who lives in Muelheim which is only and hour or so away from Bonn. I have not seen her in over two years. We met in Texas in 2006 and I see her when she comes to Texas every once in a while.

I am nervous about getting pick pocketed or having all of my important stuff stolen. I have a safety belt to wear that I can put money and an ID in and am planning on carrying the bare minimum around and just being smart and following my instincts! I am a little nervous about staying in hostels. Thank goodness I have never seen the movie Hostel. My roommate said do not see it if I want to sleep well while I am there. All the hostels we booked seemed awesome though and I think it will be fine. I am prepared for mishaps and hope to just go with the flow!

I think this will be a great experience and I want to experience as much as possible! Sleep will not be on my priority list since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I want to absorb as much of the culture and experience as much as possible.

No comments: