Friday, March 05, 2010

Home Sweet... Wait is that snow??!

I can't believe how much time has passed since we've been in Germany! It seems like just the other day I was trudging through snow... oh wait, it did snow in here the other week. I can honestly say that I won't mind waiting until next Christmas to see another snow fall. Although I wished it were 90 degrees and sunny outside that day, I felt like a pro walking through campus with snow falling on my head. All I kept thinking was, "Man oh man, how I wish I had some gluhwien and Olaf screaming 'Schnelllll!' at me." Germany was such an amazing experience! Not only did I further my education, but I felt like I've grown as a person. I know the trip will impact the rest of my life. Growing up in College Station, I've never really been exposed to different cultures and people who have different life experiences and beliefs than me.. So I guess you can say, I've been pretty sheltered. It was interesting talking to people my own age who are doing similar things as me in a different country and getting their opinion on things. It was also fun seeing the amazing hospitals and educational facilities there and getting to talk to the doctors about their jobs and passions in life. Germany is a beautiful place especially in winter! The people there are so nice and excited to meet you. It's kind of funny actually. I never really thought of 'Americans' as that entertaining folk, but it's comical because I was so excited to meet all of them, I never really thought they'd think my life was that exciting. I didn't realize how similar, yet different our worlds are. Irony, still gets me. I guess this is one of those "when I was a youngster" stories that I will tell over and over to my grandchildren. I will forever be changed by this experience. It changed my outlook on life and reinforced my enthusiasm to join the medical field one day. I would recommend going on this trip to all of my peers and will never forget my trip to Germany.

No comments: