Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Back to the "Normal" World

It has now been almost 2 months, since returning to Texas. Germany, and more specifically Bonn, became a second home to me. It was hard to believe how comfortable I felt getting around Germany, using the trains, ordering food, going shopping, and all the other tasks that you wouldn't think twice about doing back home. But when you first arrive in Europe, everything is just different enough that normal tasks can be intimidating and not just because of the language change. This study abroad has been more than I could have ever imagined. From taking some of my favorite classes- I mean does it get any better than taking the History of Medicine IN Europe- to forming what I hope will be lifelong friendships, this study abroad has been one of the best experiences of my life. I will admit that while it sounded cool, I didn't really believe in the Hero's Journey that Dr. Wasser constantly told us about until I got home. As it turned out the Hero's Journey was the whole reason I went, just not by that name. A huge factor that led to my decision to study abroad was encouragement from my parents because it would be good to get out of my comfort zone. I've known for a long time that I am a creature of habit. I know what I like and I tend to stick to that. After spending so long travelling around Europe, hiking, learning German, meeting new people, and experiencing a whole new culture, I found it hard and boring to return to that "normal", comfortable zone. Germany had become my new "normal." Since coming back, all I've wanted to do is travel! While there are tons of European cities I would love to see and return to, I like my dad's suggestion to "maybe go to a whole new continent" which would be Asia. I've always enjoyed travelling, but not frequently and I tended to be more of a homebody.
I do think there are words to describe how thankful I am to everyone who made this experience amazing. To Dr. Wasser, Dr, Fajt, Alexa, and Henning for making the classes fun and engaging and planning the coolest excursions. To my parents for making this financially possible and encouraging me to go. To my host family for welcoming me and making me feel at home. And to all of the friends I've gained throughout this experience that made me look forward to everyday!








No comments: