Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Home Sweet Home... Wait, lets go back to Germany

While time has flown by quickly this semester, I can definitely say that my trip to Germany has impacted my life greatly.  Not only do I appreciate home more and being able to use a car, but there are many things that I miss about Germany and Vienna in general.  The luxury of being able to jump on a train and visit pretty much any place in the country is by far the biggest thing that I miss.  For the free weekend we traveled across Germany to go to Munich for a fairly low price, that would never have happened here.  Another thing that I miss is being able to turn every corner and see a new historical site that greatly impacted the world.  While concentration camps are sad and gloomy, the memories and knowledge that I learned while visiting Dachau will forever influence my life.  This being said, I feel as if I have a greater appreciation for many different things in life now.

Throughout the whole trip to Germany, I was always learning new things and greater extending my knowledge of not only the history of the world but about the medical field.  The ability to visit such an infamous place as Sigmund Freud's house to see where a great mind researched and studied was pretty neat and forever memorable.   This trip also helped me to reassure myself that the medical field is exactly where I wish to be in a future career. We were fortunate enough to sit in and discuss an open heart surgery with a surgeon, what other program allows for you to do that?  I would highly recommend this program to anyone that was curious about it.  Not only were the different adventures amazing but the entire time the program ran very smoothly. Dr. Wasser and Susanna were always helpful and encouraged student interaction.  There was never a moment where I felt that I could not learn something new, which one day I could further use in a medical environment.

No comments: